Re: [ST] Helmet laws ( Was Wrap Up )

I don't necessarily disagree with your idea. Let's consider the effect of
this kind of cost shifting. Let's assume the rider is alive at the scene of
the accident and isn't wearing a helmet. The cage driver is uninsured, broke
and at fault. Insurance isn't going to pay as a result of their stupidity.
The tax-payers (that's you and me) get to cover the following:

EMT and fire department
Ambulance
Emergency room
Emergency room physician
Radiologist
Trauma surgeon
Orthopedic surgeon
Maxofacial surgeon
Hospital stay including medications
Transfer to skilled nursing facility for recuperation
Physical and occupational therapy - probably for years
Public assistance due to inability to work or hold a job

I'm sure I've left a few off the list.

So......from a public policy, public health, ethical, moral and fiscal
viewpoint, where do we cut them off? Just a rhetorical question but food for
thought.

Ed Mallett
Tillamook, OR