[ST] Tire Pressure

Here's the way it was explained to me, although I think someone had done it
previously.  The answer I got came about because I wanted to know how if the
pressure was set correctly.

The process was explained to me this way:

1.  Set the front a rear pressure.  If you don't have a number, then the
mfg;s recommendations would be a good place to start.

2.  Record the cold pressure readings, because you're going to need them
later.

3.  Go for a ride.  Around town, super-slab, twisty road; doesn't matter.
When you think that the tires have come up to temperature, measure them
again.  The temp, when hot, should be 10-15% higher than when cold.  So,
what you're doing is setting the tire pressure that's appropriate for the
ride that you're on today:  your weight, the ambient temperature, the road's
temperature, the road's surface, how hard you're riding, etc.  They are all
factors that contribute to the temperature rise.

Here's where the rest of it comes in:

If you see less than the 10-15%  rise, it's indicative of having too much
pressure.  Too much pressure = not enough tire flex = not much of a
temperature rise.

OTOH, more than the 10-15% rise means not enough pressure.  Not enough
pressure = too much flex = too much internal friction as the cords rub
against / across each other = too much of a temperature rise.

Rich M

'01 ST
LA, Calif.