Re: [ST] Tack and speedo dance

<<
Matt's point on the temp sensor is a good one.

And one we had not come up with.  Interesting thought.  Which temp sensor is
this?  The coolant or air inlet?

<<
Also if you haven't already done so, check for loose &/or corroded
ground connections, starting with the battery terminals and the
battery-to-frame ground. Suggest you disconnect and clean these.

Battery cables tight and clean.  The main ground goes to the top of the
trans.  It was gorilla tight when I took it loose and checked it.  Clean and
no obvious slop in the cable within about 6 inches.

<<
Then check for voltage drops: http://tinyurl.com/fru4t.

Using an analog meter it shows 14V across the battery posts at idle and only
goes down slightly as rev's rise, with no spikes or hitches up to about 6k
rpms.  I was cruising between 4k and 5500 at highway speeds seeing this
twitch.  I just skimmed through the proceedure you give.  Might try a few
places with that.

<<
There is a
welded ground connector in the loom from the left handlebar switch
which has given problems for some liSTeRS.

There is?  Wierd location, lol  Doesn't show in the factory wiring
schematic.

<<
On some motorcycles, the front end (steering head / forks etc.)
grounds through the steering head bearings.  An auxiliary ground strap
from the triple clamp to the frame can improve the light output and
increase the life of the bearings, particularly on bikes with
fork-mounted aux lights.

Again, that's just damn wierd!  And again, nothing in the wiring schematic.
Anybody find this on a Sprint?

<<
An increase in light intensity as you increase rpm off idle is normal
as the alternator output below ~2k is less than the normal draw of the
system.  You may well have a bad voltage regulator but is that the
cause or the result of the problem?  Is the system voltage stable off
idle? Let us know what you find.

Voltage is stable, but the lights still brighten and dim noticibly with
rpms.  Convienetly Triumph used the same regulator(ie, same part number) on
all triples and 4 cyls from '02 up to just recently(675 and Rocket 3).
Let's hear it for modular manufacturing!  $300 retail!  Fortunatly E-bay is
a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the input so far folks.  Something for me to chew through.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
AMA life member #548538