Re: [ST] Four Corners

Terry,

My first trip out on my ST, I took everything.  Must have been 30 pounds
of tools.  Subsequent trips have seen fewer and fewer tools.  Last major
trip, I went out with the bike's tool kit (tools upgraded to quality
tools, not the crap they give us), tire plug kit, duct tape, zip ties,
quart of oil, quart of coolant and the socket for the SSSA nut of the
ST.  I also have my MOTOW card, AMA's Helping hands phone number, my
address/number book, my cellphone, some cash and my Visa card.

For a trip that long, I would assess the tires very carefully and have a
set waiting at a dealership along the road, maybe an oil change there
too?  You will need at least one rear tire for that mileage.

Other than that, carry a good rain suit, two pairs of gloves (so one can
dry out) and clothing for any kind of weather, including snow at the
highest elevations.  The coldest I have ever been on a trip was in early
september, 60F and drizzling rain for 800 miles.  Wish I'd had my heated
vest along that time.

I save room in the bags by using Wicker's underwear, top and bottom and
merino wool socks.  Two pairs of each.  Wear one, wash the other out in
the hotel sink and hang them up to dry overnight.  One pair collapsible
shoes so I don't have to wear my m/c boots to dinner.  One pair
jeans/dockers.  Two t-shirts, one collared shirt.  I use my m/c jacket
liner as a light jacket.

I'm sure others will add to the list, but this is what I feel is
necessary as the basics for me.  whatever room you have left in the
bags, fill with your personal items.

Have a great trip and before you go, get numbers of people on this list
along your route for a just in case.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM
'99ST