Re: [ST] 955 motor

david.funk@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It does sound like your motor is not in the best of shape; but how is it running?
> What is "normal" compression?
> Does your motor have 1 high and 2 low, or what?
>
> If it is running ok, I would think a several thousand mile trip would be no problem.
> How much oil is it using?

I believe it should be in the 170ish range.  Oil burning is about a
quart per 1000 miles.  Power is noticeably down and if you open it up
everyone behind gets a nice smoke show.  It probably could do some
longer trips, but I am not willing to be stuck 1000 miles from home on a
5-6000 mile trip with a lame bike.  Then again it could last 50,000
miles more.  It is a crap shoot at this point and better to move on to
something I can count on.  Like I said I am looking at a tiger, daytona
and a honda blackbird.  The honda's run 100k plus easily.  I know
several people that use them for long distance riding and have well over
a 100k on them.  That is reliable.  I liked the triumph because it was
different and fun, but would trade for reliable and generic in a minute
if it means riding or not riding.  This year I'll be stuck riding my old
bikes local and no long trips until I can get a new bike.

Tim