Re: [ST] Jump starting

On Thursday 23 March 2006 09:44, MFay@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The lamps (2x) consume 55 watts each.
> Headlights (2x)are also 55 watts each.
> Plus whatever the grips use, Maybe 20 watts? Certainly no more that 60
> watts.
> Anyone know for sure?

The switch is rated at 5A, but I doubt it's more than 3A consumption even on
hot.
BTW I used the heated grips power feed as the trigger wire for the spots. I'd
have had to dismantle the whole cockpit, mirrors, fairing, to get to the
position lamp.

> So allowing for tail lights, instrumentation, FI system etc... let's say
> you're using a minimum of 250 watts when the bike is running with grips and
> spot lamps turned on.
>
> If you're trundling along at low RPMs then it's unlikely that the genny can
> keep up with the power demands on a continuous basis. From 4-5K RPM upwards
> you'd probably be alright but 2-3K RMP would certainly be asking for
> trouble.

Yep. The journey in question was about 8 miles in heavy evening traffic,
including filtering down the whole length of Dublin's notorious Rock Road
(now with added roadworks.) Progress while filtering was 15mph at best, it
was very tight, got stuck plenty of times. Also plenty of red lights with the
engine idling, trying to power all that load.

Then leave the bike sitting in the near-freezing cold for a few hours until
about 11pm, show a friend my new spotlights for half a minute or so
(headlamps on too of course) THEN try to start it. Got a few cranks and then
the solenoid started buzzing!

I'd done my usual commute that morning, should have put my warmer gloves on
but instead used grips on HOT setting all the way, and had spots on all the
way as visibility was poor. Coming out of work that evening, the bike was a
bit slow to crank (although started easily), I should have taken that as a
warning sign!

The bike was trying to tell me something!

> I jump started my original '99 ST without any adverse effects.

Really surprised that any bike of yours was left sitting long enough to
require that :)

> Just remember to give the FI system time to pressurise before you try to
> start the bike.

Why don't Triumph give you the do's and don'ts on jumpstarting in the
handbook, like any car manufacturer does?
Not having had an EFI bike before, I was a bit worried because there was no
mention of it at all in the handbook. Seems its most common phrase is
"consult your Triumph dealer" which is not much help in the real world at 9am
with a dead bike and an angry boss :/

I made sure to keep the revs up and turn off accessories on the way home
following my bump start, and it started up fine the next morning. Still got
its jumpstart virgin status :)

Eoin

'04 ST955i