From: Sprint ST <sprint_st@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:44:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [ST] 955 motor

Somehow I lost the email implying that extended oil change intervals are a
probable cause of early retirement of 955i's.  The old norm used to be 3K
miles but the user's manual says 6K miles. I got into a lethal oil thread on
the Concours Owners List. Just for the record there are all kinds of 1986
Connies on the road and a Connie with 100K is just getting broken in. The
bloodshed began when I made a simple statement that 6K miles or even 8K
miles is a reasonable time to change oil.  A real fanatic jumped in calling
me a dup of the oil companies because he and others have run oil analysis
tests at 14K showing virtually no wear at all.  He also brought up evidence
supporting his argument from commercial fleets.  I do believe that he made
his point, BUT I personally still change my oil at about 6K because it makes
me feel better.  There are lots of other things to kill an engine other than
oil: metal fatigue, stress, and "live in the red zone, die in the red zone."
It could be design issues as well. There was a time that Suzuki built
throw-away engines. They knew that their bikes would never see 50K miles so
they had rotating parts mounted directly in aluminum.  That's an extreme
case but if Sprints aren't seeing 100K miles of engine life as a group, my
bet is on poor metallurgy or design not oil.
Rod

deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin