Re: [ST] 955 motor

<<
 Another question while on the subject of engine life and rebuilds is what
if the cylinders need a rebore?  Triumph doesn't even offer over sized
pistons as far as I am aware, thus bringing home the throw away mentality of
the manufacturer.  It all comes down to cost.  It isn't cost effective to
have a motor rebuilt when it can be replaced with a low mileage used one.

With the use of Nikilsil(sp?), or similar treatments, along with the thin
manufacturing of the sleeves, NO modern motor is reborable.  You bore
through that plating and you've just ruined the sleeve.  And replating it is
hideously expensive.  As I understand.  The Triumph T5 motor has a big
advantage that the bores are changable out of the block.  Much like diesel
motors.  The trickiest part is making sure it seals to the block at the
bottom.  My father has done a couple such rebuilds at the shop he works in.
He was reather impressed with how well thought out it is.  But if your
paying someone to do it the labor expense is what makes it a killer.
Believe me I know.  I just did a water pump replacement on my '97 Dodge
Dakota.  Parts were only $125, but it took me 6 hours.  Even a pro mechanic
would probably take 4+.  At $80/hr I would be looking at shelling out
somewhere over $450 for the job.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
AMA life member #548538