Re: [ST] Bike to Bike Communication

On radios -  My  partner Sharyn & I use Uniden 1W 40 channel handheld
UHF radios.
They are quite robust little  units that use three AAA Ni-mH batteries
each  that last about two  days depending on how much  we chat. We use
PTT via  a sealed button, velcroe strapped to  the left bar for index
finger or thumb use depending on how comfortable you are.

Line of sight we get up to 5 kilometers range with  the  radios  in our
jacket pockets. Typically its about 3k's. In the hills it can be as low
  as a few  hundred meters. Range can be improved if you  mount the
radios at a high point such as the top of your screen or on your
helmet, but we've never seen the need for that. We've just done a
1500km ride over  three  days and found the  bike to bike capability
fine for us.

1W handheld radios give a good compromise between size, power
comsumption & transmission  range, especially for use  on motorcycles.
If I remember correctly, to double the transmission range you have to
quadruple your power output which will dramatically increase your power
  consumption,  which quickly  becomes impractical for bike use. So
going from  a  1W to a 2W radio will not give you  much in the way  of
extra transmission range, but it will suck your batteries!

So far we havent added  any  other  devices, such  as mobile phones,
MP3 etc, but when we  do I'll be looking at the Baher system to  manage
 it all.

Hope this helps.

Brett.
Sydney.