Re: [ST] Bike to Bike Communication

I've got the Autocomm (one the older models) and I really like it.  I can
atest for it durability.  I had it out of my bike while it was getting
painted, and it fell off the garage shelf and was run over by my wife's
Jeep.  It still works, though the plastic is cracked and the batter cover
was ruined.  I've got it wired into the power feed on the rear tail light.

I used the Autocomm speakers and mic, and they fit well into my Shoei
RF-800, but they don't fit well into my Caberg flip up (I hate that helmet
really).

I routinely used PDA w/ GPS + MP3 and a Cell phone.  The Cell phone worked
GREAT!  If I had a dollar (US) for everytime someone called me (the phone
was set to auto answer on headset) that didn't realize I was on a cycle
doing 70, I could have paid for the Autocomm.  Oh yeah, when the cell is in
use, VOX doesn't apply. The mic is on 100% of the time.

Music quality was not so great, but then again, consider the environment.  I
agree that earplugs remove the hiss/buzz from the music playback.

I didn't have a FRS radio, but the VOX seemed to function well.  It cuts the
music to 50% volume.  I'd give it a try.  Install it, then run 70-80 MPH to
get the sensitivity and volume adjusted.  It'll probably take 2-3 trys to
get it right.  Just pop of the seat and turn a knob.

I'm looking to get a new Autocomm this year if I can talk my friend into it.
  We'll get the bike-to-bike then.  It is awesome.  We had the helmet
mounted Chatterbox setup, which didn't work well realy, and he lost his to
an accident which destroyed it (minor design flaw).  But, on the plus side,
you can tweak the Chatterboxes in motion.

--Joel