[ST] BMW K1200R vs S3

Sorry for the potential blasphemy here........But, are there any motorcycle.com subscribers out there who would be willing to either post or send me there review on the 06 BMW K1200R off list?

I'm getting ready to take the plunge for a new scoot and I think I'm pretty much down to the K12R or a Speed Triple. I know they're not exactly the same animals, but they're in the same general sport/touring ballpark for me. I lean toward the S3 for the weight, nimbleness, attitude, cost, and maybe a warm fuzzy spot in my heart. On the other hand, the K12R has that 160+ hp, some really cool technology, and by all accounts I've read, it is far superior as a touring scoot. Although I'm hard pressed to justify the extra $$ since the amount of extra cash the Beemer costs would easily pay for a custom, gold plated seat and better wind protection.

In addition to the motorcycle.com article I'd sure be interested in input from any listers who'd like to chime in. Especially if you've ridden either or, even better, both bikes. I've ridden neither but plan to in the near future.

Incidentally, I'm selling my just completed, fully restored 65 BMW R50 to fund this next purchase. It's really beautiful and I've put over $5,000 in the engine alone (not even counting the trans). Everything else has been down to the last nut and bolt, cleaned, chromed, polished, painted, or powder coated. New bearings throughout, etc, etc. Its NOT a concourse restoration, but its really, REALLY, sweet. Its going on ebay in about a week. However, if someone on the list (or an acquaintance thereof) made me a reasonable offer, I'd be more than happy to entertain it. I'd really like to see it go to a good home. If you contact me off list I'll get out a picture. I'm in California, if you're wondering about pickup.

I can be reached off list at monobldg@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:monobldg@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers!

Bob
01 Sprint RS