Re: [ST] 3rd to 4th Gear Change

On 1 May 2006, at 14:34, JUSTIN SHREAVES wrote:

> Do you always use the clutch for upshifts, or do you do alot of
> clutchless shifts? It sounds like the dogs, or enguagment tangs of
> the gears, are rounding off a bit. If you do your own oil changes,
> take a magnet, and put it in the oil to collect any metal shavings.
> When they start rounding off, they usually let alot of thin metal
> shavings about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. Almost like hairs.

I don't do clutchless changes (is that a good or bad thing I
wonder...?).  So far, the bike has been serviced by Jack Lilley - so
I've not had chance to inspect oil condition.  But they've not
alerted me to anything dodgy.  It is a long way to next oil change
(5000 miles - so probably not due until mid / late summer at
earliest).  Should I do an oil change 'just in case?'

> At your next oild change, you can also check clutch drum wear, if
> your handy. Just pop the cover off, remove the clutches, and look
> at the disc tangs and drum grooves. If they look like they are
> getting dented down where they clutch tangs sit in the drum, that
> maybe the problem. If so, the drum and clutches should be replaced
> asap, to prevent transmission wear/damage.

I've rebuilt engines in my past (including a engine-parts-engine job
on an XS500 motor many years ago), but so far resisted taking bits
off the ST - combination of not enough time and a lack of desire to
end up with three bolts and a circlip in the parts tray when I've put
it all back together again...  But maybe I should get back to doing
such things - I suspect Jack Lilley would be thrilled to charge (a
lot) for such exploratory things...

I guess I was hoping that either this is common or not common, either
as a symptom of something dire, or as a 'charming quirk' of the ST...

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03