Re: [ST] 43mm Fork Question

Upside down forks are great, for the track. They can be harsh for regular touring bikes. The design ends up great for feel of bike, and knowing where your bike is standing in relation to tire grip/brakes. But when it comes to pot holes, bumps, and not so good roads, I wouldn't want them on my street bikes. Properly sprung and valved conventional forks are much better for long distance, touring, or just overall relaxed riding. That's just my 2 cents.

  Justin

Gavin Lawrie <gavin.lawrie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  On 1 May 2006, at 15:34, Jim HIGGINS wrote:

> Gavin,if you are going to do a fork swap with all it entails--swapping
> wheels,brakes,and all--why not go all the way and put some nice
> upside down
> forks on there.They can be had for good deals on eBay, etc. It is
> only a bit
> more work at that point. Have a machinist make a steering stem that
> fits the
> Triumph neck and your good to go. I have done the complete front
> swap on a
> couple of bikes that way. Have a GSXR front end on my FJ 600 turbo
> bike,was
> not that hard.Got the better forks and brakes all at once.Jim.

Yes, had occurred to me. But not sure I ever worked out why upside
downs were better than right way ups, and had rather hoped that with
similar fork tube dimensions I might get away with simply slotting
new right-way-up forks in place of the old: except that I agree it
probably would make sense to keep the brakes and wheel from the donor
bike too (unless they were horrid condition etc.).

Are there any benefits to upside down forks (that I'd notice on the ST)?

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03