Re: [ST] Shinko Tyres?

Hi Brett,
Sorry for the late reply.  I have tried Shinkos and here are my thoughts.

I mounted up a set of the 005 Advance series to my 955 Daytona.  Rode down to
Deal's Gap and gave them some serious abuse on the Dragon.  They are the only
tire I have ever been able to slide on the street.  Full throttle corner exits
at the Dragon on the Daytona overwhelmed the rear.  Call it a "controlled"
slide.  It actually got to be kind of fun as I got used to it.  That was the
only place they showed weakness.  I have had a LOT of different tires on my
Daytona, but I've never been able to break the rear loose on the street except
for these tires. Take it for what it's worth.

I've also mounted a set of the more touring oriented tires (can't remember the
model numbers) to my ST and my 900 Trophy.  They seem to be able to hold well
enough for that duty.  I ride these bikes just as hard as the Daytona when the
road starts twisting and they never let go.  Perhaps they just don't have the
power needed to break loose on corner exits?  Dunno, but they did instill
confidence while riding hard.

Rain?  Dunno, haven't realy tried them in the rain yet believe it or not.

Mileage?  Dunno, they're still on the bikes with several thousand miles.  I
will say that they seem to be wearing like iron.  I've never had tires last
this long and still show lots of tread left.  I typically get no more than 3k
out of a rear sport tire and up to 5k on a sport touring tire if I'm careful.
>From the looks of it, I'll be surpassing those numbers easily.

Here's the clincher.  ALL THREE BIKES exhibited this same effect:  Mid corner
braking stood all the bikes up and drastically tightened up my line.  When the
brakes were released the bikes would fall back down and run wide.  I absolutely
hate this effect and none of my bikes exhibited this behavior before these
tires were mounted.

They are otherwise very neutral in handling.  They have a very round profile
(as opposed to a triangular profile) which makes them very stable on the
staights, conversely there's not a lot of contact patch when you're all the way
leaned over.  Prolly why I was able to break the rear loose on the Daytona.
However they are not resistant to turning at all.  They really are neutral.

Overall opinion?  If you are going to tour and need a long lasting tire, these
sure seem to be wearing exceptionally well.  If you need a good sporting tire,
I'd stay away from the fronts, as I abhor the propensity of my bikes standing
up in corner braking.  They are incredibly cheap, so it's hard to bitch.

Incidentally, you should be able to find Shinko tires way cheaper than $220 for
a rear.  I would expect to pay that for the pair.

Cheers,
Jonathan West
95 Trophy 4
99 ST