Re: [ST] My Tale of Shame

Aron wrote:
> ...I dropped my '00 RS.  Blast!
I was slipping past a line of stopped traffic in order to take a right
turn when I hit the unfortunate bit of gravel and, zoom, down I went.
I was only going a couple of miles an hour at the time and I'm
perfectly fine save for a small boo-boo on my knee. <

Hey Aron,
We're always sorry to hear of any mishap.  Glad you're mostly OK.  I
had a crash on some ice 15 months ago, suffering similar damage and
rode home ~70 miles in third gear.  BTW, third is the gear for limping
home.  It'll pull away from a stop, even uphill and reach triple
digits should the need arise ;O).  I can now happily report that the
emotional scars will heal.  The main thing is to learn from our
mishaps.  I've spent a lot of time pondering over what I might have
done differently...

As to the oil in the airbox issue, the primary concern is behind you,
that of oil running through the breather hose into the airbox, filling
up a cylinder and preventing the engine from turning over.  This is
called hydro-lock and in certain circumstances, it can break things.
If you have a stock paper air filter, I'd pull the tank and check it
for oil contamination. On the other hand, if you have a K&N or similar
reusable filter, I'd concentrate on making it rideable and worry about
the cosmetics as time/finances allow.

Good luck,
--
Rick in Oregon