Re: [ST] PA & WV Roads

Garry,
You have an excellent route.  I sent my previous reply about 44 and
Wellsboro prior to reading it.  The reverse is a good option for returning
from the Harrisburg area.  The area around Altoona has some good roads IF
you aren't trying to get anywhere.  If you have to make any sort of time you
have to take I-99 which is pretty but flat boring. 655 out of Hancock should
be looked at to get you north to the neighborhood of Huntingdon. We used 655
and 26 out of State College to get into MD and WV without any interstates.
You have to shift east like the Wellsboro thing or move west to 219.  I just
think that Pete is going to have to make some compromises in 5 days and 6
hours per day.  Only have two last recommendations.  First I-68 isn't a bad
way to make rapid shifts east and west and isn't your typical super slab.
Second you will be riding in a time of long days so you can ride 8 to 10
hours if you space your hours across the day and stop at strategic spots.
For example, I sit at the café near Seneca Rocks for an hour or two just
watching rock climbers.
Rod

Man this is making me homesick. Yesterday I went to Greenville, SC to look
at R1200GS's.  Came close to buying "the" farm.  Riding on a 6 lane in
Greer, SC and allergies started to massively tear up my left eye.  I'm in
the far left lane of heavy traffic and start to move right to get off the
road when both eyes totally tear up. Got the bike stopped before I was
totally blind but it did fall over because the place I picked to stop was on
the side of a hill. No real damage (thanks LSL), but I was really lucky.
Actually, I think exhaust fumes in hot stop and go traffic with not enough
speed to generate enough wind were as much to blame as the allergies.