[ST] Starter problems

My '00 Sprint ST with 82k miles has developed a starter problem.
When I crank it (push starter button) it makes a clanking noise and does not turn the engine over, at least not enough to fire.
I would like to know if it is:
A) Starter motor (easy to fix/replace)
B) Starter clutch (hard)
C) Other
- how do I test it?

Before the last couple of days, it often took a fairly long cranking time to start. Sometimes it would start quickly, but most of the time it took what felt like a long time. I did not measure, but it had to be several seconds of cranking. During the long cranking, it would sometimes make a single clanking noise or two. Now more then half the cranking is the clanking noise.

While the battery is old (original), I have no reason to believe it has a low voltage problem. But I have not tested / measured yet. I have not done any resent work on the bike. The bike is running fine. But the last two starts I have had to bum start it.

David W. Funk
'00 Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA