From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
david.funk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:36 AM
To: ST list
Cc: dwfunk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Starter problems

My '00 Sprint ST with 82k miles has developed a starter problem. When I
crank it (push starter button) it makes a clanking noise and does not turn
the engine over, at least not enough to fire.
I would like to know if it is:
A) Starter motor (easy to fix/replace)
B) Starter clutch (hard)
C) Other
- how do I test it?

Before the last couple of days, it often took a fairly long cranking time
to start. Sometimes it would start quickly, but most of the time it took
what felt like a long time. I did not measure, but it had to be several
seconds of cranking. During the long cranking, it would sometimes make a
single clanking noise or two. Now more then half the cranking is the
clanking noise.

While the battery is old (original), I have no reason to believe it has a
low voltage problem. But I have not tested / measured yet. I have not done
any resent work on the bike. The bike is running fine. But the last two
starts I have had to bum start it.

David W. Funk
'00 Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA