From: Rich Rumble <rich.rumble@xxxxxxx>
To: ST Triumph <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:06:19 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] Staked Axle nut and the 675

Axle nut:
The operative word is that the nut is staked.  Applying penetrating oil is
good for the company that sells penetrating oil, but not for eliminating
your frustration, or making the deformed metal return to an earlier shape.

The nut on my bike was staked into a channel about .185" (~4.6mm) wide.  A
small, flat-bladed screwdriver (narrower than that channel) was inserted and
tapped with a hammer to un-stake the nut.  There is still some muscle
required to loosen the nut, but un-staking it makes removal much easier.
HTH.

Daytona 675:
Sorry to double up on the e-mail, but I got the 675 listed below about 3
weeks ago.  Supah!!!  It is weird getting back onto (more like into) the
Sprint from riding the 675.  The 675 reminds me very much of the TZ250 I
had.  Very responsive handling, either due to the light weight, the
suspension or the Diablo tires, or a combination.  The seat feels like a
naugahyde-covered 2x6, but I love the bike.  I have 500 miles on it in the
first two weeks of owning it, and need to do the first maintenance before
continuing the break-in.  Can't wait for 14K rpm.

Rich (Thunderdawg) Rumble
2004 Aston Green Sprint ST
2006 Graphite Daytona 675