Re: [ST] 19mm hex head socket

Brian wrote:
> The friendly guys at Midas were happy to weld a couple of nuts onto
a 3/4" hex head bolt.  Everything was looking good until..... snap!
the bolt twisted and gave way while I was attempting to get the axle
loose... I guess I'm back to looking for the right tool for this
job.... <

...and Don replied:
> Call me tonight. I have a section of a 19mm "allen" wrench that you
can have. Use this with any 19mm socket and it'll loosen right up.<

It sounds like Don has solved Brian's problem.

The Motion Pro tool looks great Justin but it is $40...

As mentioned earlier, if you want to make the tool, bolt and nut
*quality* matters.  Look for a supplier* (under "Bolts & Nuts" in the
yellow pages) and ask for "SAE grade 8 (or metric grade 10.9) or
better".  Here's a comparison chart: http://tinyurl.com/58xkd.

The ideal bolt will have a 3/4" / 19mm head and just enough threads
for two nuts. 1/2" diameter x 3/4" length and 12mm or 14mm diameter x
20mm length should be perfect.  Look here http://tinyurl.com/qhp7r for
head size variations due to different standards.  An auto repair shop
which specializes in Asian car repair may have a JIS standard 14x20
bolt lying around.

Tighten the bolt head & nuts together with the flats aligned and no
gaps.  Then weld everything together.  You'll have an inexpensive tool
which should outlast your bike.

Some axles may have been over tightened.  Torque is 60nm/43ft/lbs.
It's good to apply a film of grease to protect the axle from
corrosion.  Don't forget to torque the axle pinch bolts and the
caliper mounting bolts - 20nm/15ft/lbs and 40nm/29.5 ft/lbs
respectively.

* Portland isn't a huge town.  We have at least 15 such suppliers in
the area.
--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST