Re: [ST] Several questions

Ping isn't only caused by octane used. In many cases it is caused by
deposits on valves or combustion chamber or mixture issues.  So guys who
mess with TuneBoy may cause ping issues.  Also, if you bounce between 87, 89
and 93 you may get ping because an engine has to "learn" what gas it's
using.  Don't know why that is the case but I've read several articles on
that phenomenon.  The only time I get ping on my 02 ST is when the stupid
driver gets the wrong combination of gear and throttle opening. Even in that
"lugging" situation I rarely experience ping.  The engine was designed for
89 not 93 plus Triumph even says 87 is OK if that's all you can find which
is important for the touring rider.

On the tire size thing, there have been several cycle editors who have
stated that many bikes come from the factory with larger than optimum tires
just because that's what people expect or want.