Re: [ST] Several questions - FUEL

On Tue, 30 May 2006, BrettWilson21@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I put a post on Triumphrat. One person stated that his 03 RS has gone from
> 45mpg to 55mpg. Another bloke with a Harley reports that he is using a UK based
> product (www.fuelcat.co.uk) and it has reduced the pinging and improved
> starting.

Anecdotes are useful and interesting, but just remember that with regards
to mpg, how hard you twist your wrist makes a _huge_ difference.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/106842/article.html

Up to 37% savings just by accellerating less agressively.

Up to 14% savings for driving the speed limit.

Do you really think that those people that bought this catalyst were as
scientific in their tests as edmunds.com? Or is it more likely that they
just toned down their driving a bit... (and perhaps for the Harley
guy...the weather changed?)

OTOH, if a "fuel catalyst" is the placebo you need to slow down and
therefore save gas.. then it is well worth the money. :-)

> So here is some anecdotal evidence that it works, but if its that good why
> are the big companies ignoring it?

Exactly the pertinent question. While I'm sure that the oil companies
would have you buy as much gas as possible and have no incentive to help
you save it, the vehicle manufacturers have _every_ incentive. They have
tended to avoid and procrastinate on technologies that complicate matters
(ie: hybrid, EV) because they are expensive and difficult to implement and
for every new "thing" you add, you increase complexity and reduce
reliability which is also a concern of theirs. But if it was a simple as
sticking something in your fuel line you can be sure they would be all
over it. If it were too expensive to license the technology here, there
would be foreign auto makers using it in their foreign models in countries
where IP law is more lax. But they aren't.