Re: [ST] Headlamp blubs

On 13 Oct 2006, at 00:42, Gary DiSilvestro wrote:

> My PIAA  H4 60/55 super white bulbs are burning out and it time to
> replace them. I'm unable to locate any in stock at the shops in my
> area.
> A local car customizing store has a set of APC (AMERICAN PRODUCTS
> CORP)
> H4 80/100 actual wattage bulbs in stock that are identical to the
> PIAA.
> Higher wattage but half the price.(39.99 PR) He says he has sold
> many of
> them to Honda and Yamaha owners with no problem but when he put
> them in
> his late 80's Honda they damaged the regulator. He's not sure how they
> will work in Triumph's. Has anybody tried bulbs with this wattage or
> have they herd of this brand. Any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated.

I had a pair of 80/100s in my ST'03 for best part of two years with
no problems.  Had the dual-light relay mod on bike, so had both
lights on all time.  I got them off ebay, they were some sort of
Japanese or Korean sourced import.  Worked well, great improvement
over standard bulbs.  But had the 'blue' cast favoured by some brands
- made idiot light in middle of headlight pair look very 'yellow' and
dim when they were on.  They failed within a week of each other (main
beam filament in both cases) but after good life.  Changed them for
even better pair I got from local car-parts shop: these were Bosch
'off-road competition' bulbs, 100W main beam (55W dip I seem to
recall) but were not 'blue' - they had similar colour temperature to
regular bulbs, and so looked better matched to idiot light bulb
colour.  Were just as bright as previous pair.  I wrote the bike off
three days after changing the bulbs (typical...) and replacement
ST'03 still has stock 55W items.  But will be getting around to
changing bulb soon.

HTH

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03