Re: [ST] Avon Storm-ST (AV55/56) vs. RoadPilot vs. BT 020 (Now: tire chat)

Mike Young  wrote:
>I'm due for new skins on my '06 ST. Any opinions out there on the
merits of the Pilot Road VS the OEM fitment of the BT 020? The 020s
went 3500+ miles and still have some life, but the rear is squared off
a bit, and I'm thinking Santa might need to stop off at Tires-R-Us on
his way to my place....

My take:  The Avon 45/46's are vastly superior to the 020's.  I've run
three (or perhaps four) sets and can't fault their performance.  The
only serious criticism I've heard is that they lack some grip when
ridden aggressively but they are a sport touring tire, after all.

I'm currently running a Pirelli's Diablo Strada rear with a Diablo
front.  This is a tasty combination.  I can feel that the front is
more planted but overall, they feel similar to the Avons.  I haven't
run Pilot Roads, though I've heard they take a while to come up to
temperature in the cool riding conditions we often have here in the
Pacific NW.  I've had that problem with 020's as well.
--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST