Re: [ST] 05/06 ST Suspension Linkage Bolt Failure

I just stuck my head under my '06 and the linkage appears to be a
properly engineered (if not optimal) double shear installation using
what appears to be a series of three bushings. Without taking it apart I
would suspect that there is a central bushing that runs from the right
hand plate through the aluminum link extrusion (?) to the left hand
plate. The pivot bolt compresses this bush between the plats to carry
the bending load in shear. There appear to be two spacer bushings, one
on either side of the aluminum link, which keep the link centered
between the plates. The failure probably started with the bolt and nut
loosening which allowed relative movement between the bushing and the
end plate which would then allow a bending moment on the (probably
threaded end of the) bolt which caused the bolt to fail. The shaft of
the bolt eventually parted company with the assembly, but not before it
tore up the inside faces of the plate.

Has anyone had an undamaged assembly apart? I'm curious to know how
close my guesses are.

Mike
06 ST
Seattle