Re: [ST] Back to allroad

>From: Gavin Lawrie
>The TDM is a great bike - I considered one (of the older less trick
>versions) instead of my ST.  Great riding position.  But I reckon
>you'll miss the ST engine
>From: simonb
>It's nick name is the Tedium over here. They never sold well in the UK.

Well, in the UK people think only GSX's and R1's are trendy ;-). GS and the
other allroads seem to do better in northern part of Europe. The TDM does
very well in southern Europe though (Italy, Spain, Greece, France). The
black TDM's in Holland are sold out anyway, I couldn't get one from the
importer anymore.

I find the 900 engine has plenty of umph actually and in a flat way indeed.
It's no triple, it doesn't have a canonshot at the end. That's why I think
the new Tiger will have a great potential. Triple engine is great, but for
most of my riding I don't think I'll miss that extra endshot really. Otherwise
I would have gone for a 1200GS, KTM Adventure or V-Strom 1000 anyway. The TDM
appeals to me because of other things.

Here's how the '01 Sprint power compares to the TDM (weird comparison):

TMD power: 86,2 HP (63,4 kW ) @ 7.500 tpm
Sprint Power: 108.00 HP (78.8 kW)) @ 9200 RPM

TDM Torque: 	88,8 Nm (9,1 kg-m) @ 6.000 tpm
Sprint Torque:	97.00 Nm (9.9 kgf-m) @ 6200 RPM

It feels like the TDM starts it curve up sooner than the Sprint (haven't
found a dynojet graph yet), but as the figure show the Sprint goes on for
a couple of RPM. What I won't miss is the heat between my legs and the pain
between my shoulders that I got on longer rides somehow. I love the triple
engine, but I think an allroad is just more suited for the roads I like.
Power is not that much of an issue there either. Handling on the TDM, like
on most modern allroads, is so easy. It's like I've ridden on it for years.
Roundabouts, speedbumps, maneuvering around cars and tourists through downtown
Amsterdam, it's all fun again :-). That was more of an annoyance on the Sprint,
that was more rewarding on the smooth open road. Hairpins were much more of
a challenge as well, new tires and the Hyperpro's did help though. It's all
a matter of priorities and likings of course. Both bikes are extremely versatile,
I never regretted buying it. With my mileage I just tend to switch bikes quicker
or else I can't sell them at all.

It was very unforunate to see how little the Sprint was worth to dealers. Most
of the times they know it's a great bike, but Dutch people are used to seeing
Honda, Suzuki or BMW on the tank. Triumph is not known enough, sounds too exotic.
One of the biggest Triumph dealers in Holland has a second hand red Sprint on
his floor as well as a blue one. He has two huge floors full of bikes, new and
used. The red Sprint was the longest bike in his showroom, been standing there
for 4 years (in great condition). The blue one has been there now for almost
a year. Perhaps buyers know a real Sprint has to be in British Racing Green ;-).

Emile
www.piloot.com