Re: [ST] Builder's Toast

>From: Kevin.Dicks@xxxxxxx
>To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ST] Builder's Toast
>Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:20:20 -0400
>
>Sorry to say Steve I don't agree at all.  Sure,  he is (well, hopefully)
>going to face consequences for his actions and his life is on hold right
>now but there are way too many people with short memories (can anybody say
>Martha Stewart).  He is rich, he will get a plea bargain, the PR campaign
>will begin and while he may not end up back on TV (but as Stewart did...he
>may) he will continue.
>
>Sorry...that's just the nature of society and 'celebrities' and it truly
>does suck.

Well, I think you (and others) have missed my point.  My point is he killed
someone and he will live with that fact for the rest of his life whether he
does time or not.  He killed another human being.  I have never (and
hopefully never will) have to deal with that fact.  If he has any feelings,
like the rest of us, if he has any conscience, like the rest of us do, he
will never be the same.  He will wake up in the middle of the night with
that poor guys face right in front of him.  He will.

I'm not not excusing his actions.  He did something STUPID, but not with
malice, in ignorance.  Someone died because of it.  He will live with it.
Forever.  Think about that for just a minute.  All his celebrity and money
won't change it.

Now I understand all the righteous indignation around here but really, in
the end, it was an accident.  Each and every one of you be honest with
yourselves and then tell me you have never pulled a bonehead move that COULD
HAVE had a similar result if not for the grace of God or whoever.  Come on,
think about it.  I'm not saying we have all tried to pass two cars on the
double yellow in a big ass truck, BUT....    I know I've gotten away with a
few of dumb-ass moves in my life.

I'm not trying to justify what he did.  I think he should pay a high price.
But this lynch mob mentality needs to be reconsidered.  Would you all be so
vehement to have his head on a platter if it were your son who was the
dumb-ass?

What if it were you that killed an innocent person thru yer own negligence?
How would you feel?
That's exactly how he feels right now.  And that's my only point.

Oh, and that jerk-off in SD is a whole 'nother issue.  Was a repeat
offender, ran that same stop-sign regularly, had many many speeding tickets
and his actions after the fact prove he has no conscience.  I am speaking of
what I know of Billy Lane and this specific case.  Just to head off the
broadening of this conversation.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong.  Maybe Billy Lane is a total asshole and has no
conscience and this will never brother him.  I hope that's not the case and
until I see evidence that it is I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt
and have just a little sympathy for what he must be dealing with.  Just a
tiny bit of empathy and introspection is all I ask.

Cheers,

STeve
Duncan
Donut