Re: [ST] Rattling noise, 2000 ST

I posted last year about a rattle in my 01ST. Metal on metal sound. I found it to be in the header collector and could replicate it by whacking the exhaust with a rubber mallet. It turned out to be a broken baffle plate in the exhaust and was warrantied. I first heard it when rolling the bike around the garage especially when I would rock it back and forth.

  HTH,
  Todd

Herb Hummer <herbie53@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Paul, I also have a 2000 ST and have the same rattle but only when going over bumps(which are everywhere here on Michigan roads). It is also driving me nuts and haven't been able to find it either, Grrrr.

Paul English wrote:
There's a rattle, coming from the frontwards part (otherwise I probably
wouldn't hear it while in motion) of my ST. It's driving me nuts, not to
mention a teensy bit worried.

It sounds like metal on metal.

It's not my keychain - I can reproduce it when holding that down with one
hand.

I don't think it is the brakes - it happens even while braking.. but maybe
the floaters will still rattle except under hard braking?

I've checked various and sundry bodywork, and other than a missing fairing
screw on the left mid-fairing, everything seems cool. I don't think the
missing screw is it either.. there just isn't much play there, plus it
doesn't sound like plastic rattling.

Not sure what else to check.. suggestions?