Re: [ST] trip to Europe

>From: rs955
>I am hoping to take a few extra days ( 3-4 days) and
>rent a motorcycle sp we can tour around.
>Should I rent in Barcelona of Venice?
>Darren Jones Edmonton AB Canada

I believe the coastal area behind Barcelona is nice, but the
best riding would be just a bit further in the Pyrenees (around
Andorra). The area right behind Venice is rather boring and
flat (riverdelta area), but if you go a just a bit further you'll
be riding in the Italian Alps (Tirol). On top of that you have
the gorgeous lakes on the southern foothills of the Alps within
reach, like the Garda Lake.

Both the Pyrenees and the Alps are fantastic. Personally I loved
the Spanish roads throught the southern end of the Pyrenees. But
in terms of impressive scenery I would suggest Tirol, so the Alps.
If possible (3 days is not that long and the mileage is not quickly
made when riding in the Alps) I would suggest making a loop from
Venice up north to Austria, taking the must-see Grossglockner
Hochalpstrasse, then turning left towards the south, then southwest
to ride through the Italian Dolomites, then further west to the
Stelvio pass, then down south to Laco di Garda. From there it's
a short freeway hop to the east towards Venice.

A quick autouroute loop makes that 1100 km. That might be a bit too
much, especially for 3 days. 300-400 km per days is very hard to do
per day in the Alps. Better would perhaps be to skip Austria and go
directly to the Italian dolomites, then west.
Here a map of that loop: http://piloot.smugmug.com/photos/95834756-O.jpg
You could go from Venice (at point Mestre in south) to point 4 and skip
1 and 2 to make it shorter.

I don't know about m/c hire there (there probably is something),
nor about bagage storage. If the rental service wouldn't want to
stow your stuff (which it probably doesn't mind) I guess you could
look for lockers at the Venice train station or airport perhaps?
Maybe the cruise service has land facilities?

If somehow the Pyrenees would be easier I can help you with some
nice route suggestions there as well. Here's the last time I was
there: http://piloot.smugmug.com/gallery/228932/22/9214556
(check all pages before and after that page for pics). Hope
it helps!

Emile
www.piloot.com