Re: [ST] More Europe Questions

Thanks for the replies.

  Yes, the family is prehistoric. Initially, we will be staying with my wife's 95yr old grandmother who still lives in a 5th floor walk up!!!! I hope that we will meet some of the younger relatives and THEY will have some connectivity with the modern world.

  Thanks too for the recommendations on the other hotel lines too, but the Accor has started to prove more fruitful already.

  One week and counting!!! I can already taste the Spaten!!
  Todd

Emile Nossin <Emile@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  >From: Todd J
>Gavin, you recommended Accor the last go round of my
>emails on this. THIS is the only one that we had not
>tried as my wife could not recall the hotel line.

Accor is probably one of the biggest hotel chains in
Europe (and outside of Europe they're very big as well).
Sofitel, Novotel, Ibis, Mercure and Etap (and more) are
all part of the Accor group. Not as luxurious as Hilton,
Holiday Inn or Sheraton. But they're reasonable affordable,
a nice trade off between quality and budget. KLM often uses
these hotels for my nicestops, they're not my favourite.
But I tend to book them myself on some trips as well (if
I can't find Bed and Breakfast places) because of the price.

>So, to continue. Are there internet cafes in Germany?
>As we will be staying with family that do not have i-net
>access.

I haven't seen pure internet café's that much in Germany,
although I suspect there are a couple in the bigger cities.
But everybody has internet at home there, your family
sounds prehistoric ;-). If they have a phone line you
can just plug your laptop in (if you have one of course),
it's easy to get a free phone internet subscription
usually, you could register before hand. All you need
is a login tel. number and a login. Like this one for
Tiscali in Germany which doesn't even require registration:
http://internetzugang.tiscali.de/isdn_modem/?akkcode=10072
For Tiscaly anonym plus you need to call in to
Tel. number: 0191771
User name/password (Benutzername/Kennwor)t: Tiscali
Per minute you then pay 44 eurocents a minute.

If your laptop has wifi you could use hotspots as
well (lots from T-mobile, but you probably need to
be T-mobile customer).

Amazing that your family is offline, DSL in Germany
is very cheap (that Tiscali provider has DSL for 5
euros per month only). But I guess some areas are
still relatively remote in Germany to have that service.
I'm sure you will otherwise find a neighbour with
flat rate internet there. Tschuss,

Emile (just back from Dusseldorf)
Niederlande