[ST] 2001 Sprint ST Burning Oil

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.
  As another lister mentioned, I did post this on the Triumph Rat site as well. Seems there are a number of other riders out there experiencing the same phenomena. I did notice some carbon soot at the mouth of the pipe. I should also mention that I swapped my scraped 2001 original can for a 2002 can, although I can't see how this would impact oil consumption.
  I will take the bike to check valves, although I used to do valve adjustment on my old Suzuki GS 850 myself, I don't have a shop manual for the Trumpet.
  So what is the process for checking the crankcase breather valve?