[ST] ER6F Kawasaki

Hi All,

 the local Kawasaki dealership, who are also the Triumph agents, kindly lent
me a Kawasaki ER6F for three days over the long weekend we just had.

I used to to reintroduce one of my friends to road bikes, after a fiteen
year lay off.

We also did a 300 km ride on Sunday with two other friends, and everyone got
a chance to ride the little parallel twin.

Here's a group view on the bike:

1. The motor is a gem. It potters along, sounding very much like a Thruxton
till you wind it up. Once it hits 7000rpm it pulls strongly through to 13
000rpm. The motor will outdrag almost any car you are likely to encounter,
and we ran it up to  200 KPH to see how well it goes. Fuel consumption was
5l per 100 kms.

2. The bike is very pretty, except for the front end, which is a touch too
much like the multistratada. The full fairing looks very neat.

3. The whole bike is built for a small person. All of us are 6 foot plus,
and we struggled with our heads being in the wind above the fairing, plus
the bike felt physically to small for us. As soon as we ducked down the wind
protection was excellent.

My wife who is a shorty could get both balls of her feet on the floor, and
commented on how light the bike felt.

For us our shoulders obstructed the mirrors, for a shorter persn they would
work fine - no noticable buzz.

4. The handling is first class for a budget bike. We blasted it through
twisty's and bumps. Its not in the class of my Daytona or my frends RS, but
its still good, better than some other bikes i've ridden recently. The back
felt like it had too much preload for the damping, but we left it as is.

5. In traffic the bike handles great -its light and manouverable, pulls
cleanly from 2000 rpm and has enough punch to be fun.

6. It carries a pillion nicely, my wife loved it and the kids pestered me
all weekend for trips around the block. They want me to sell my Daytona and
buy this (aaaaargh).

I was most impressed, when the wife decides she wants a bike this is top of
the list (sorry thruxton......).

This is a brilliant first time bike or a general purpose bike for a smaller
person.

cheers

Marc
Cape Town: Dayona 955