Re: [ST] chain and sprocket time

Bil, assuming that it is the stock set up, you should be able to remove the front sproket cover and read the number of teeth on the sproket without actually pulling the sproket. It should be stamped in the sproket. At least it is on my 01.

Sorry I cant be more helpful than that.

Bil Swartz <bil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Dan Wetherington wrote:

> Bil Swartz wrote:
>> Looks like it's time to do the chain and sprockets on the '03, might as
>> well since the rear tire is pretty well shagged after a 400 mile romp in
>> WV yesterday!
>>
>> I know I'm gonna go with the DID 530ZVM2 but need to confirm it's a 108
>> link in length. It's easy to get 'em to size now it seems from those that
>> sell the newer ZVM2.
>>
>> Also need to confirm the '03 gearing is 18/43. And does anyone have a
>> good source for sprockets, or have used the JT's or other aftermarket ok?
>> I read the rubber damper is primarily for noise damping at testing time
>> but that there can be other issues such as shimming needed if aftermarket
>> isn't same spec in width?
>>
>> Ahhhh, spring time!
>>
>> aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
>>

> Bil,
> The correct length is 108 links. As for the sprockets, I believe they
> switched from the 18t to 19t in either 2000 or 2001. So if you want
> stock sizes, you need 19/43. The best source for the front sprocket is
> still Triumph, as they have the rubber damper built into theirs. I
> don't know if any other manu. makes the front sprocket that way. I'm of
> no help for rear sprocket though, as I haven't changed mine yet. So I'm
> listening for suppliers as well...
>
> Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan,

I'm still having trouble nailing down the stock gearing, our chart and
several others out there haven't been updated since the '00-'01 model
years and I thought I'd seen somewhere that the '02-'04 had changed to
either an 18 or possibly a 17. Hate to have to pull the old one off
before ordering to find out!

A post a long time back indicated MotorcycleOnlineStore.com as a good
source, and they did get me a cut to length DID 530ZVM2 for the VFR so
will likely order from them again, once I get the sprockets nailed down.

Anyone got a good source of gear info that's up to date?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
--

._O_. '03 Sprint ST
-Bil- /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport /~\