Re: [ST] chain and sprocket time

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Todd J wrote:

> Bil, assuming that it is the stock set up, you should be able to remove
> the front sproket cover and read the number of teeth on the sproket
> without actually pulling the sproket. It should be stamped in the
> sproket. At least it is on my 01.

I decided to do just that Todd, thanks for urging me on.  But the stamping
in the side of the sprocket is a little inconclusive!  I think it's a 19
but the tail of the 9 fades away too fast, could go either way.  But from
all the other discussion I've found on TriumphRat.Net I think stock is 19
so I'm gonna go for an 18 to snap things up a bit, like my '99 had.

I don't know why I was hesitant to just look, must be because I'm
currently changing chain/sprox on a VFR and it's harder to remove the
cover on it as the fairing is in the way, the clutch slave cylinder is
mounted to that cover as is the speedo sensor, etc.

An odd note though, while removing the cover in the ST I noted what looks
like a fresh couple of drops of oil in the top left bolt hole, with what
looked like a drop trapped between the cover and the casing.  With all of
the dirt and road gunk in there I'm surprised and concerned to see what
looks like a couple of drops of fresh clean oil there.  Any reports of
problems in this area?

So for those taking notes, looks like the order from
MotorcycleOnlineStore.com will be for a DID 530 ZVM2-108, JT Sprockets
JTF1180-18 and JTR2011-43.

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\