[St] Oil drain and great list

Matt, who was the DWEEB who found this out the hard way?
Was he talking to friends at the time?
And maybe having a drink back in the old days?

A couple of points as I have read some replies on the T50 bit from the
digest:
1. The drain plug is not torqued very tight.
2. If you overtighten it then expect to find the center on your Torx bit as
it breaks out of the bolt outer threads. Then you buy a new bolt and remove
the threads from the engine case and install it.
3. Point is you don't really need an expensive Torx bit for that one bolt.
I got mine at a FLAPS and it's worked since January of 99. Remember, it's
only torqued to 18.44 ft lbs.

Also, the filter should be able to be unscrewed by hand. A Rubbermaid dish
washing glove improves grip tremendously.
If it is stuck use very large Channel-Locks.
>From the right side open the Channel-Locks almost as wide as they will go,
hold at about a 30 degree angle, and clamp on the filter without rubbing
the belly pan. It's easier than it sounds once you try it.
Of course turn in the correct loosen direction. Remember, you might be
looking upside-down.
Hand tightened the new filter and all will be well the next time.

DO NOT punch a screwdriver through the filter with ideas of using it to
turn the filter off.
You can do it after the oil drains out and there are some who have done
this.
They then completed the job only to find out that they also broke through
the aluminum oil pan.
That will be $200.00 from your dealer.
It wasn't me on that one but I have seen it once and heard of two other
times it was done.
So Run away, run away!

Last thing, for the price of a cheap airline ticket I'll come out and do
this oil and filter change for you :-)

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"