Re: [St] [ST] Biker ailments

At 07:37 AM 8/2/2007, you wrote:

>I had a fall on my KLR just over two weeks ago and broke my ankle.
>
>I had no option but to ride home (50 kms on gravel, including a river
>crossing, and then 180 kms on tar) Lucky it was my right ankle or I wouldnt
>have been able to change gears. Talk about a painful ride!
>
>A few days after the first cast went on I developed pain in my calf, and
>they diagnosed deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in my veins).
>
>I spent five days in hospital with them jabbing me with stuff all the time.
>
>I'm out now, still on crutches for another  month at least, plus I have to
>take Warferin to thin my blood for the next three months - bummer.
>
>anyone else had a similar problem after an ankle break?
>
>Marc, Cape Town RSA
>2006 Daytona 955
>2007 KLR 650

Nope, I broke mine so badly that I had compartmentalized bleeding (my
calf and foot swelled up like balloons turning black from the
internal bleeding) and had to have surgery to stop the bleeding and
glue a bunch of the bones back together. The pain of the swelling was
another order of magnitude worse than the pain from the fractures and
just kept growing when they were prepping me for the operating room.
  The surgeon wanted to fuse the bones that were part of the foot but
I said no, did not want him to do that. If he had fused it, I would
not been able to flex my foot at all.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"