Re: [St] Behind the Curve? Another take

At 12:46 PM 8/2/2007, you wrote:

>Nate,
>
>Gotta agree with ya there.  When I read this, my first thought was why?
>Then, "Why not develop the 675 into an 800 and use that as a platforom for
>a new ST and Tiger??"  I want lighter and better gas mileage (meaning more
>than 55 mpg US)
>
>I've used my V-Strom 650 for trips and it does just fine.  Just that the
>triple in my 01 ST is more relaxing and fun.  Would think an 800 cc triple
>would be great.
>
>Dave Bardell

Hey I'm coming from a 800cc sporttourer, the VFR.
I love it, as a solo sporttourer and commuter bike, so I think a 675
pushed out to a 800 would make a brilliant middleweight SPORTTouring bike.

But there are a couple of problems with that.
1. Honda is about to kill off the current generation VFR (that I have
heard several insiders say was a Total Flop)and supposedly has no
plans to replace it. The feel that the middleweight (750-900cc)
SportTouring bike niche has dried up. I think part of that is that
they did not spend the development dollars in the correct places on
the Vtec edition VFR.
2. A lot of current middleweight sporttouring bike owners are not
looking to by another middleweight bike, they are looking for that
bigger bike. I know that I am, since going to up with luggage on my
VFR is a strain and the bigger St bike would solve alot of the issue.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"