Re: [St] Pannier bolt

At 07:01 PM 8/4/2007, you wrote:

>On 3 Aug 2007, at 23:41, Gavin Lawrie wrote:
>
> > Nonetheless, before putting bolt back I'm hoping to work out why
> > the bolt sheared
>
>Well, apparently the panniers should bolt to hangers using two
>stainless / shouldered M8 bolts (as per postings earlier).  The
>failed bolt was aluminium (or some other soft alloy) and there was
>only one of them (in the lower of the two mounting holes).  Grrr!
>Fair amount of grit / goo in upper mounting hole suggests it either
>fell out long time ago or was never there...   Unable to prize old
>bolt stub out (in part because it is soft metal...) so have to put
>new hanger and bolts in place.

why not cut it off at the hanger, center punch & drill it out (with a
left twist drill) and then retap it with a cleaning tap ??
That would save the hanger and you should run the tap through the
upper hole as well!!

then you won't be wasting the hanger.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"