Re: [St] the dreaded oil question

Red cap is now gold cap (well that's the color of the Mobil 1 cap I have
been using the last couple years).

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Wetherington
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 12:58 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [St] the dreaded oil question

Young, Mike wrote:
> I've noticed a lot of mention of Mobil 1 being used successfully on
> our bikes. Jack mentions "Red Top" below; is this regular Auto Parts
> store Mobil 1? Or is it the 4T version that Triumph recommends?
>
> I'm tired of paying the dealer's rapacious labor rate and materials
> mark-up so I've created a place to do my own oil changes. I'm due, but
> I'm still trying to figure out which filter and which oil to use.
>
> I've read up on the filter question and from the list of "good"
> filters I found a WIX filter at the local auto parts store, and a
> Purolator Pure-One (?) at the local "Fred Meyer" (Wally World on a
> smaller scale). I just need the oil to do the deed.
>
> Tools are not an issue; my tool box is bigger than my college dorm
> room. I also have a supply of 9/16"id Buna-N "sealing washers" that
> work great as replacements for the copper crush washers on the
> plug...another McMaster-Carr item.
>
> I don't mind buying the 4T oil but I have to make a special trip to a
> cycle shop to get it; I work the same hours they are open so getting
> there when the "Open" sign is lit is a problem.
>
> I swear by Mobil-1 and Castrol Syntech for my 4 wheel vehicles, and
> will use the Mobil for the bike, but I just am not sure which one, and
> what grade.
>
> Sorry if I've let the dreaded "oil question" genie out of the bottle,
> but I really don't want to fry my beloved triple because I used the
> wrong stuff.
>
> Mike
> '06 ST
> Seattle
Mike,
The Mobil 1 they are referring to is a 15W50 synthetic available by the
gallon at most auto parts stores, wally worlds, etc.  It DOES NOT have
friction modifiers in it, and is I believe the only Mobil 1 synth auto
oil that doesn't have them.  The "red cap" refers to the color of the
bottle cap.  But make sure you check that it doesn't say "energy
conserving" or anything like that on it.

Dan