Re: [St] the dreaded oil question

On Aug 6, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Young, Mike wrote:

> I swear by Mobil-1 and Castrol Syntech for my 4 wheel vehicles, and
> will
> use the Mobil for the bike, but I just am not sure which one, and what
> grade.

I used to swear by Castrol Syntech for my 4-wheeled vehicles.  For
the first several years using it, my motors would be very clean under
the valve cover when opened up for valve adjustments.  But over the
last 40K or so on the last car I used it in, it built up a thick
black varnish layer on the valve cover, head, timing chain area,
etc.  I had heard about a reformulation a few years ago, but never
thought much about it until I took that motor apart.

Now, all my vehicles get Shell Rotella T synthetic, and they all seem
to be staying very clean inside.  Castrol Syntec will never touch the
inside of any of my motors.

However, the actual performance of the Castrol Syntec is excellent.
That motor spun a bearing as a result of defective Nissan filters
causing a complete loss of oil twice (no, I didn't through all the
filters away after the first time).  However, the spun bearing did
not occur until 10K+ street miles and hundreds of track miles after
the second complete loss of oil, and other than the bearings, piston
wear was minimal for 180K+ street miles and 4K+ track miles, and
other moving parts showed no signs of damage from the loss of oil.
I've heard of more than one person who spun a bearing in Nissan
motors after just running low on oil once, so I will give the oil
credit where it is due.  I just won't be using it anymore because I
believe the Shell Rotella T Synth is better.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

Jim
2001 Sprint ST
1991 Nissan 240SX
1985 BMW 535i turbo