Re: [St] Screening Opinions (yes, pun intended!)

At 12:36 PM 8/7/2007, you wrote:

>6' 2" 210 #
>I'm a casually competitive sculler (rowing with two oars) so my back is
>probably on the strong end of the scale, and flexible for a person my
>size and age (45). My wrists have seen 30 years of abuse as a mechanic,
>but are not arthritic.
>My commute helmet is an HJC Sy-max flip face. Comfortable,
>aerodynamically stable, but noisy (lots of nooks and crannies around the
>flip-up and visor). I use an HJC AC-12 (I think... it's the all carbon
>one anyway) for long rides and if silliness is anticipated....more
>dependable face protection, and much quieter. Uses the same visor as the
>flip face too, but seals better. Those are the only helmets I have used
>on this bike so my comparison base is limited
>The wind hits me "right at the top of the strike zone" if you're a
>baseball fan. (Draw a line between the arm pits and drop three
>inches-75mm-if you think footballs are round.) The '07 hit me at the
>bottom of my neck (or just below there), and while it was stable, it
>left more weight on my hands. The angle of my back was certainly more
>upright, but that is I think what made the bike feel less sporty.
>
>Mike
>'06 ST
>Seattle

Wow, that is great Mike.
I'm 6' 1" 230 #, and @ 42, my body shows a ton of battle scars. I
have had surgery on both wrists for carpal tunnel collapse. Also I'm
slightly shorter than I used to be due to compression fractures in
three vertebra in the middle of my back, and my right leg is still
peppered with a bunch of shrapnel. Even with all that I've worked
hard to stay healthy and flexible, well healthy enough to earn a
black belt in American Kenpo Karate.
Interesting since I have the same flip face helmet. It did not seem
noisy until about two months ago when I finally had to replace the
shield. It seems the new shield (an hjc) does not seal at the gaskets
like the old one did.
I know that it is time for a new helmet (this one is as old as the
current bike), so I'm thinking about the cl-max.

I'd rather have the wind hit me at the bottom of the neck, since that
reduces the buffeting I get when stuck behind suv's and minivans on
the highway. Since I always try to ride with as little weight on my
hands as possible, I've gotten used to balancing pretty much without
the hands, using my back and my tankbag.
The additional plus for me is that when the weather is bad, or the
winds are very bad, I can just tuck a bit and get down under into still air.

Anyway thanks for the info.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"