[St] Oil issue

The sprite list is also discussing the oil issue and I thought this might be of interest on this list.

Gary

> Castrol GTX with bottle of STP?
STP still contains ZDDP, but they don't tell you how much. It used to be the
main ingredient, but now it's listed last instead of first. Presumably, STP
4cyl. in the red bottle would be better than the regular blue bottle because
it's main function isn't to raise viscosity. It's too bad we can't just buy
ZDDP.  I'll bet one quart would last a long time.
BZ
==============================

I emailed STP from their website regarding the two oil additives and their
relative amount of ZDDP.  Here is their response:

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment. We always appreciate
hearing from our consumers.

The STP 4 Cylinder Oil Treatment contains only slightly more than the STP
Oil Treatment.  They both contain about 4 times the amount of ZDDP as what
motor oils once contained.  The product was originally designed for flat
tappet cam motors.  We have many classic car owners that use our product for
this reason.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Given this, I think we could safely use a bottle (or 2 -- they are a tad
less than a pint) of either additive in every oil change and have a
resultant mix containing about the same amount of ZDDP as in the good old
days.

I was a little concerned about the info Paul A received about racing oils
not being formulated for normal mileage between changes.  This should take
care of any concerns and enable us to use whatever quality off-the-shelf oil
we want, no?