Re: [ST] Newbie Questions for aftermarket headlights, horns, and heated grips ...

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Doug wrote:

> As a new ST owner, I have a few newbie questions:

Welcome to the liST here Doug, and to Sprint ST riding in general...

> 1) What aftermarket headlight kits (e.g. HID) are best to use with an ST?
>   Mine is an '02 model imported to US.

I haven't seen any HID kits for our bikes, but you may want to check out
what the guys on the Honda ST-1100 lists did as they had group buys and
installation instructions that may be adaptable.

As Dan noted, most of us just better the bulbs, Sylvania SilverStars are
widely available stateside at most autoparts stores, or the Philips Vision
Plus bulbs can be ordered in from the UK from sites like:
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk

Addiing aux lights is another way to go, MotoLites come to mind
http://www.motolight.com or adding something like small PIAA driving
lights such as eBay item 230088184620 which I've seen on a friend's
TransAlp, just haven't figured out the Sprint ST mounting method yet ;^{D

(BTW, that guy's eBay store has some decent prices on lights, no relation
just pointing him out)

> 2) What aftermarket horn kits are best to use with an ST?
>   Same model as #1.

As Dan noted the Stebel Nautilus is popular, I've seen the Stebel Compact
Nautilus in my local Western Auto parts store with what looked like a
store brand blister-pack around it, just look close at the plastic and you
can see the Stebel embossing.  The FIAMM Freeway Blaster is another
popular option.  I'm trying to work out what I'm going to do for the horn
upgrade myself...

> 3) What heated grips are best to use on an '02 ST?

I installed the Kympex heaters (http://store.azmusa.com/kigrhekit.html)
under ProGrips on my '99, was a pain but worked well.  Like Dan had the
dealer throw on the Triumph OEM's with my '03.  The Kympex heaters seemed
to heat up faster but the Triumph's are more robust, a little bigger
around since it's a whole grip unit, etc.  The DualStar's look to be a bit
better than the Kympex units, and I found a switch much like the Triumph
OEM at Electrical Connection
(http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/switch_high-amp.htm).
EC has lots of other neat bike stuff too.

Hope it helps,

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\