From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of halfast3
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:50 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Just for kicks! - no ST content

> Steve - we used to call them kick starters...

All this talk of missing &/or errant electrons and their effect on
2-wheeled motivation begs a question:

How many liSTeRS have had street bikes which required kicking?

How difficult (or easy) were they to start?

My list:
1959? BSA Bantam D7, 175cc 2-stroke which I rode around Plymouth, UK
in 1963-4.  It usually started on the first or second kick.  I didn't
realize how easy I had it...

Then a mate & I acquired a BSA Gold Star - a 500cc single.  Let's see,
retard the spark, tickle the carb, bring it to tdc, give a mighty leap
and pray it didn't launch you into the neighbor's garden - or worse.
Plus, being a retired race bike, it was geared ungawdly tall so you
had a better than average chance you'd stall it pulling away...
chugga, chugga... splat, repeat.

Returning to the colonies and school, in need cheap transportation I
got a Vespa 150 (for some reason I recall it was a model 'VBB').  This
thing was unbelievable!  The clutch cable would break regularly (and I
often rode it that way) but it always started.  Favorite story:  came
home from the service on leave to find my MGA on blocks with trashed
front suspension, thanks to my roommates.  I went over to my parents,
dragged the Vespa out from under a pile of firewood in the garage,
gave it a shake to mix the oil & gas and it started on the third kick!

In a moment of insanity, I bought a 1969 Kawasaki H1 500 triple
2-stroke - a fantastic engine.  Any time it was even slightly warm, I
could start it by pushing the kick starter with my hand!  It was also
wheelie-prone, had a frame which felt like it had a hinge in the
middle and very weak brakes - a real death machine!  The best thing I
can say is that I survived it.  Traded it in on an Alfa Romeo race car
- much safer!

In 1972 I bought a Honda XL250 dual sport.  It was usually easy to
start, unless you fell at the bottom of some hill out in the Tillamook
Burn with several inches of muddy clay stuck to the tires.  Then it
was nearly impossible...

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST - usually starts first try