[ST] synthetic oil

Jack,

Never having seen this one before I found the image of the girlfriend
falling off the bike hilarious -- akin to the first time I saw the shirt
that said, "If you can read this, the bitch fell off" and its sequel, "I'm
the bitch that fell off."

On a more serious note, though, when I had my 98 T595, I spoke with a man
who built components for the T5, who went to England and visited Hinckley
and Mobile Oil folk.  The TV's with the alleged ceramic bore were having
some trouble with oil consumption because the rings weren't seating
properly.  This guy told me to use standard petroleum based oil for about
3,000 miles, then switch to the synthetic.  I did, and never had a problem.
There might something to it since, speaking with a Triumph service manager
yesterday, I brought up the issue of oil and he said that Triumph now
suggests the use of semi-synthetic for the first 500 miles.  Too, BMW folk
say ( a kind of consensus based upon polling 6 techs or so) that their
R1100/1150 series boxers with the Nickels (sp?) bores should run petroleum
based oils until about 17,000 miles then make the switch to synthetic.

Another conversation of note might be this:  the man of whom I spoke who
went to England and there visited with a Mobile Oil  rep came back with the
information that the Mobile 1 oil 15/50 was identical to the Triumph racing
oil.  Again, I can't verify, but at the time the Mobile 1 at Wal-Mart was
about $15 -- a considerable savings over the Triumph oil.  I used it and had
no problems.

Lou