Re: [ST] Mystery Oil Leak on my 01 ST--sorta solved

>>The tank on the 01 is slightly larger than the 03. By about 1/2 gal, from what I recall.
>>And it was my understanding too that it was a double walled tank. Which is even more puzzling. Once I removed the fuel to below the point of the leak, it stopped.
>>Anyone remove the fuel leveler, sensor from the bottom of the tank? What is up in there? Can you tell if it is a double walled tank?

Todd,

When I changed my fuel filter, I didn't notice anything pointing out to the fact it is double walled. I did hear
already than it's double walled though. A single wall would be illegal for polyethylen (plastic).

What is very surprising is that it seems porous. Did you check carrefully if it's delaminated. The crack could be very
thin. Double check w/ your nail.

The only leak I heard of on the tank itself was at my dealer on a tiger.
Was caused by a too long screw that hold the inner pump plate. It was longer than the insert and cracked the inside.
Nothing was noticeable from the outside except the leak.
I did't catch very well the exact location of the leak on yours but it doesn't seem to be near the pump plate
of fuel sender plate. But if it's double walled, the problem could be more tricky.

About welding the tank:
I did something similar on a metal one after a bent (don't ask) and even after emptying the tank carefully and letting it dry out
there was a blow out (a flame 50 cm high) from the inlet once the light point temperature was reached. But I didn't know the trick
about filling it w/ ethanol etc...

Fred ST 02 BRG