Re: [ST] [RS] 2001 RS starter engine dead ?

>How about some diagnosis, instead of throwing parts at the problem?

Ok let's do that.

>Go to the starter solenoid - it's at the other end of the heavy black
>wire which attaches to the starter - and measure for battery voltage
>to the _small_ trigger wire, while the starter button is depressed
>(-.5v would be acceptable).

>Ya got voltage?  Then the starter actuation circuit to the solenoid is
>intact.  Does the solenoid click?

No it doesn't :-) It looks dead. And a piece of wire properly applied to both sides of it makes the engine start :-)

I'm glad I posted my question cos it helped me to appreciate the kindness of the people on this list. So thanks a lot to all who took the time to reply and give me hints as to what the problem could be. Now all i need is to carry around my piece of wire until I get hold of a solenoid.

Thanks again,

Guillaume

Protégez vos enfants des dangers d'Internet en installant Sécurité Enfants, le contrôle parental d'Alice.
http://www.aliceadsl.fr/securitepc/default_copa.asp