Re: [ST] Cash purchasers

At 12:17 PM 7/10/2007, you wrote:
> > One other finance-related tidbit for anyone who might not know: dealers
> > will often not let you pay for vehicles via credit card (even if your
> > limit is high enough) because they pay a percentage fee.  It's worth it
> > for them to take a down-payment via CC but not pay a fee on the whole
> > deal if they aren't handling the financing.
>
>That practice may violate their agreement with the credit card company.
>Also they can offer a discount if you pay cash (and you should ask for
>it) but they can't add on a charge if you pay by credit card.
>
>Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
>http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
>   '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
>   '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
>   '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
>   '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned

No Matt, they don't add a Fee, they just plain won't do the charge on
the card.
It's there prerogative to not accept the card. Its like using the pin
pad device for taking debit cards. It can be a hassle to maintain the
devices and all that but they save a few cents every time they are used.

The fees charged to a business for using a credit card machine cut
into the profit on a deal and are based a transaction ratio (total
dollars to number of transactions) so the merchant would rather have
50 purchases a week for $9,000 than 2 totaling $18,000.

Heck, the shop I used to work for stopped taking credit cards for
service work since they had been getting to many false charge-backs.
That was partially because their sky-high fees and partially because
so many people think that they are only hurting the business owner.

Both sides are stupid in this way. The owners and service manager are
stupidly driving business away because of ridiculous hour ratings and
a sky high hourly rate.
And the customers are stupid because when they call the CC bank and
start a chargeback, they cost all the hard working people that they
think they are not hurting.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"