Re: [ST] 06 ST Underseat Exhaust

At 02:58 PM 7/13/2007, you wrote:

><last of four posts for today!>
>
>This is the biggest and most expensive bugaboo for me.
>
>After a lengthy discussion with Dave, my
>favourite parts guy (JohnS, I just know you
>would like this guy at the Ottawa Goodtime
>Centre!), he made several ?bolt-on?
>suggestions.  In order of cost effectiveness, they are:
>
>Add an air-cushion on top of the stock seat for
>about $100 Cdn.  This would supposedly add
>comfort and provide insulation from the
>heat.  On the down side, it would increase seat
>height by a cm or two (not a big problem),
>however, I am not convinced that it would be all that effective.
>
>Next up is the Triumph ?competition only? pipe
>(~$700 Cdn) which foregoes the catalytic
>converter, makes more power, sounds better (as
>well as being louder ­ more "acoustically
>pleasing" as Dave said!) and is a tad
>lighter.  While all that sounds good (yes, pun
>intended), the part that caught my ear, since I
>had not given this aspect much thought, is that
>since the cat needs to run very hot to work,
>removing the stock exhaust (incl the cat) should
>produce less heat under the seat.
>
>Again, is anyone on the list prepared to comment
>on this aspect of the Triumph accessory pipe?
>
>Moving along in the same vein, in my early days
>tripping through the archives (before I started
>taking notes, of course!), I saw a beautiful set
>of after market triple pipes installed on a 05+
>ST.  Could someone be kind enough to repost the
>website for this option as well?
>Has anyone else ridden with these MV Augusta
>look-alike pipes (OK, three instead of four tips
>is close!) to offer any heat-related commentary?
>
>Also discussed with Dave were various ?home
>made? options such as adding extra heat
>insulation under the seat and cutting extra venting into the sidepanels.
>
>I am open to exploring any combination of these
>options so any constructive viewpoints would be
>most welcome before I open up my chequebook
>and/or AMEX card in the near future!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Brian
>GWN

Um, I thought that the Catalyst was located under
gearbox, to keep it close enough the exhaust
ports to maintain the operating temp. That would
make me think that it is the closeness and
treatment of the exhaust header and mufflers that
creates the heat issues not the cat.

Of course I could be wrong.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"