Re: [ST] 06 ST Seat Q

Brian,I've had both Sargent & Corbin seats and on my 1200 Trophy I loved my Corbin, on my FJR 1300 I was pleased with my Corbin, on my first Ducati ST4 I had a Corbin, my 2nd ST4 I went with a Sargent and liked it much more, on my 03 Sprint I had a Sargent and was very pleased. I had only the Corbin for a choice on my 06 Sprint and it has been very good, much better than the stock seat. Im planning on being in Ottaw on July 22-23, I'd like to get some ideas where to go and what to see, I'll be coming from Kingston, Ontario and going to Mt. Tremblaunt, then down through The Champlain Isles...any ideas???
billybob

From: Brian Pitman <snowsurfer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] 06 ST Seat Q
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

Further to my ?Intro,? IMHO, the biggest factor for touring comfort is having a good seat. I read the various commentaries over the past couple of years debating the merits of the Corbin (which I have on my Yamaha GTS) against the Sargent saddles. Much as I love my Corbin, and tend to agree with the general comments made previously on the list that the mounting was ?fiddly.? In my case I eventually successfully transplanted the Yamaha seat lock and installed the Corbin on hte bike. A short time later, I returned the hardware to the stock saddle which I ride around town to take advantage of the flat profile. Now when I tour, I toss the Corbin on the bike, which just sits on the frame rails. Yes, the stiff seat does take getting used to, but does stay comfy many more hours into a day?s that the stock seat.

Thus, I am inclined to try a Sargent for a change, although a review if their website shows that they have not yet developed a replacement saddle for the 05-07 ST yet, so, at the moment, only the custom saddle treatment is available at Sargent. However, before I go that route, I was curious if anyone has purchased the Triumph gel seat? Can anyone with Corbin/Sargent saddle time offer up a comparo?

I recently and briefly tried a friend?s gel pad (as opposed to a complete saddle) on an FJR. I was not all that impressed with the added height or the ?squishiness? of the seat texture. I suspect being an ex-roadracer (Club level only and emphasis on the "ex"), I have some built-in biases for low, hard seats!

Having said that, I will be receptive to any positive reviews anyone has on the Triumph gel seat.

Thx,

Brian
GWN
I've has several bikes with Corbin or Sargent seats. if you asked me before I